Now offering Silver Diamine Fluoride for cavity prevention!
Ask us about it on your next visit or contact us today!
At Red Deer Dental, our goal is to treat your dental issues as conservatively as possible. Regular maintenance of teeth is cost effective, as early detection of problems helps save you money, and save your teeth. Some of preventive care that we provide:
- Exams, radiographs, diagnostics
- Cleanings (scaling, polish)
- Fluoride alternatives
- Nutritional advice
- SILVER DIAMINE, new to Canada! This product is a silver-containing liquid that helps destroy specific bacteria that cause cavities. It can even stop small cavities from growing. It is painted on the teeth, with no discomfort! This new product is especially beneficial for patients that are prone to getting cavities. We are excited to offer this new procedure for you.
This area of dentistry involves repairing or replacing lost or damaged tooth structure, or replacement of teeth. Examples of these procedures:
- Fillings; generally required if your tooth has a cavity, or is chipped or broken
- Crowns/Veneers; these are procedures often used when a larger portion of tooth requires repair or structural support (or for esthetics, such as a discolored tooth). The tooth is usually covered by a lab-made material such as porcelain or zirconia, or gold/metal alloy.
- Implants; this is a 2 component procedure for replacing teeth. One component is a surgical titanium screw that is placed into the site of a lost tooth; bone grows around the “threads” of this screw. The second component is a crown is attached to this screw. At our office, we can complete second phase of the implant, and work with a surgeon or specialist for the first phase of this procedure.
Many people have anxiety about getting dental treatment. In office, we provide options of nitrous oxide (“laughing gas”), or oral sedation (such as Ativan). Nitrous oxide is a form of mild sedation, and is commonly used as it has some great “pluses” – it is very safe, and it only has an effect while breathing in the gas (so if a patient does not like the sensation of laughing gas, it can be quickly stopped, as well as the benefit that patients are able to drive right after the appointment if they choose).
We provide root canal treatments (this is removal of the nerve tissue from the inside of the tooth). This is often done when there is an abscess/infection, or pain from the nerve in the tooth being excessively inflamed or dying.
Extractions (“pulling”) of teeth. Many patients request nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, in conjunction with having teeth extracted, especially wisdom teeth (third molars)
PRF (Platelet Rich Plasma). This is an area of “regenerative medicine”, where your own blood is used to initiate better healing of the bone after an extraction. When a tooth is extracted, a large hole is often left in the bone, that often only partly fills in with typical healing. With PRF, your own blood is placed in a centrifuge that concentrates your own natural healing factors from the blood – which is then placed back into the socket at the time the tooth is extracted, to provide a matrix for the bone to heal. This is especially helpful for situations when and implant is being considered in the future. It can also helps lessen discomfort after extractions, and reduce the chances of “dry socket”.
Teeth Clenching & Grinding
This area of dentistry is complex, and causes and symptoms vary widely between patients. Usually, people have varying degrees of wear and damage to the teeth. Like other areas of dentistry, and all health, prevention and early detection are key. As of 2017, we have been offering a more effective, and much more comfortable nightguard/appliance as part of the solution. We often recommend multiple modalities of treatment for patients with more complex symptoms like headaches and migraines, facial pain/ TMJ pain/ ear pain, neck/back pain, and many other possible related symptoms. Some of these adjunctive treatments could include meditation, physiotherapy or posture assessment, massage, chiropractic assessment, yoga, Botox, or referral to a specialist.
* Trade names: Botox and Dysport
Many people are familiar with the effects of injectables used for cosmetic purposes. It is used to relax specific muscles of the face, to minimize and soften wrinkle lines. They offer a very natural look – more relaxed, and less stressed. Some studies even show that people even feel less stressed after having facial treatments, due to communication between tense vs. relaxed muscles and the nerve impulses that are relayed to the brain. Some people do get AbobotulinumtoxinA confused with the effects of “fillers”. Fillers are a gel that is injected to “plump up” tissues – AbobotulinumtoxinA does not have this effect.
This neuromodulator can also be used as an adjunctive treatment for clenching or grinding of teeth, or bruxism. Because of teeth clenching or grinding, many people experience symptoms of facial pain and headaches – these symptoms are often lessened, and sometimes even eliminated, when treated with these injections. Some of the muscles involved in the treatment are the chewing muscles on the side of the face, the forehead, and the temple region.
Get answers and advice
We’re here to answer any questions or concerns you may have.